Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the Bhubaneswar Art Trail-2018 at Old Town. CM Patnaik also inaugurated laser Show at Bindu Sagar in Bhubaneswar. CM Naveen Patnaik inaugurates Market Complex at Old Town in Bhubaneswar.
BAT envisions participation of the local community living around the trail, people who will provide their residential space to display artworks. This is first of its type in India. The trail is located alongside medieval historical monuments (7th century AD onward).
Some bullet points:
- This will be the first public art venture of Odisha on such a scale and we will attempt to leverage contemporary art to inspire the community.
- Artists will stay in the old town of Bhubaneswar for one month and interact with the space, local community and young art students. Students from various art colleges have agreed to volunteer for this venture. Art colleges have opened up their studios for the visiting artists to work there.
- The vision is to promote Bhubaneswar as a heritage city.
- Various outreach programmes such as seminars, children’s workshops, film screenings and cultural programmes have been planned.
• Inspiration from travelogues and medieval travel poetry such as of Japanese poet Matsuo Basho who thought of looking at the world and experiencing it without the mediation of screens and technologies and philosopher Maurice Halbwach who thought that physical space itself was in a real sense dependent on the enduring memories of the group that occupies it.
This unique project entails exploring the history, lived realities and social relations of the various communities, the objective being to enhance an art practice which emerges from the local community and involves the local art scene. BAT aspires to use art to promote social and environmental development in the community. It will explore new ways of collaborating and exchanging ideas. Location: Old town Bhubaneswar. Sponsors: The Tourism and Culture Departments of the Odisha Government and Bhubaneswar Development Authority, Tata Steel are few of the official partners of this edition.
Curators: Premjish Achari & Jagannath PandaArtist List:Odia Artists:1) Satyabhama Majhi2) Samarjeet Behera3) Subrat Behera Kumar4) Niroj Satpathy5) Ramakanta Samantaray, Ramhari Jena, Shailen Routray (Project room)6) Veejayant Dash7) Suchismita Mohanty Ram8) Pratul Dash9) Pakaja Sethi10) Pratap Jena & Smrutikant Rout (colaboration)
National/ Internatioal Artists:1) Markus Baenziger 2) Arunkumar H G3) Sudarshan Shetty4) Gigi Scaria5) Sharmila Samant) Teja Gavankar7) Sayantan Maitra8) M Pravat.